SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the best way to help improve traffic to your webpage. Before I go over how it works and why you need it, check out this beginner’s guide from Moz which will fully help you understand why SEO is so necessary. SEO is using techniques to improve your website rank higher in organic search results. In turn, it is making your website more visible for people who are looking for your product.
So how do search engines work?
Search engines think that if a site, page, or document is popular, then the information must contain a lot more valuable content. Instead of the popularity and relevance of a website being determined manually, the search engines employ mathematical equations to sort the relevance of each web page, then rank the order of their popularity.
Why do you need SEO?
This other article from Moz should tell you everything. Building a page with perfect keyword targeting is crucial in improving your rank with search engines. In the article, they use an example of a website that sells home ware products that had issues with it’s site structure and on-page targeting. Their category and sub-category pages heavily lacked term targeting. So, getting appropriate tags of the right amount of keywords onto each webpage was quick and easy and not to mention, helped a lot. They also made their title URL’s clean and friendly and added internal links. After adding their implements, check out their actual Google analytics results of traffic to their web page:
Once the changes were made, the traffic went up heavily and proved to be beneficial towards clicks and visits.
How can you be successful through SEO?
- Keyword usage and targeting are the most important and can be vital in increasing your rank. The entire science of information retrieval is based on keywords so in your webpage tags, make sure the words that your target audience will search for are there. It is important not to abuse keywords as this can end up lowering your rank.
- Usability, user experience, and content also can affect search rankings. Here are 4 traits that sites have with a good layout of these three items:
- Easy to use, navigate, and understand.
- Provide direct, actionable information relevant to the query.
- Professionally designed and accessible to modern browsers.
- Deliver high quality, legitimate, credible content.
For more information on the keys to success, really check out in full the beginner’s guide by Moz. Another key for SEO success though is through link building, where Moz also provides a beginner’s guide.
So what is link building?
Link building is the process of getting external pages to link to a page on your website. This is a great tactic to use in SEO search engines use the links and if you have more links out there, your content is more valuable and will allow you to rank higher. In short, the search engines do not just look at the content of the web page, they also look at the number of links pointing to that page from external websites and the quality of those websites that link to yours.
How do you link build?
Although there are a number of ways to link build, here are a few ways to get external websites to link to yours:
- Content creation & promotion – create compelling content that people will want to reference and link to.
- Submissions – Submit your news to press releases and submit your site to directories and other things of that nature
- Reviews & Mentions – Put your product, service, or site in front of influential bloggers.
- Links from friends and partners – Get people you know to help you out.
How can link building help your business?
Although link building is very time consuming, it can be very beneficial. Here are a list of reasons on how link building can benefit your business:
- Building relationships – You can network with some key influencers in your industry and build long lasting relationships.
- Sending referral traffic – A good link from a highly visited website can lead to an increase in traffic as well.
- Brand building – Good link building can help build your brand and establish your name.
For more information on link building and the good and the bad, check out the beginner’s guide from Moz. Moz is a company that offers inbound marketing tools that can vastly help improve your reach to prospective customers. Their pro subscription offers over 12+ tools including Moz analytics, social, branding link building, content marketing efforts, and various tools to track and improve your SEO most importantly. Inbound marketing has grown into the most efficient and effective way to reach your target audience that Moz has a product that offers great value for the price.